Sunday, May 6, 2012

The I LOVE Project: Popcorn and Grandma Riley

Grandma Riley used to have popcorn for dinner on Sunday nights while she watched reruns of the Lawrence Welk show. Dad and I would usually go over and visit her on those nights; the buttery, salty popcorn would linger in the air while we sat in her small, dimly-lit den. I never ate popcorn much in those days; now it’s a staple in my diet. I typically like to have chocolate with it. It’s especially scrumptious when I’ve got some peanut m&ms  to toss in there; the hot popcorn softens the chocolate on the inside of the candy shell, and it's a perfect mix of salty and sweet. Yum! Every time I make popcorn, I think of Grandma Riley and those visits Dad and I paid her. So, when I enjoy a bag of popcorn in my home these days, not only do I get a healthy snack, but I also get a dose of nostalgia: healthy for the body, happy for the soul.
I love popcorn, and I love Grandma Riley.

No comments:

Post a Comment