Wednesday, May 2, 2012

The I LOVE Project: Compliments

Today after school, I went to the copy room to get a few things done, and on my way out, I heard my principal call after me, so I stepped into her office. Her reason behind the summons was to inform me that someone had been "bragging" on me: "Is Catie always so sweet?" (By the way, the answer is NO, unfortunately!) We chatted for a few minutes, and I thanked her for going out of her way to point that out. "Well, we all need to hear good things," she stated. And she is so right. We all do need to hear what we are doing right. In my opinion, too often, people only speak up when they notice something of which they don't approve.

My principal’s choice of action carried over to influence my own actions, later on in the day. I'd stopped off to grab a bite to eat before heading to the store to get some last-minute items, and at the restaurant, I was admiring this lady's hair. I was trying to not be a stalker, but at the same time, nonchalantly inspect her hair, in attempts to figure out whether she’d braided the piece in front or twisted it before pulling it back. It was so cute! I’d bantered with myself about whether to comment to her about it. “I’ll sound like a weirdo,” nearly won the debate, as it often has in the past, but in the end, on my way out, I decided to go ahead and allow her to think I’m strange, and I told her, in passing, how adorable her hair was. Since, I’ve pondered how many times I’ve kept myself from paying positive comments out of fear of sounding odd or possibly sounding like a kiss-up.

My ego wonders if I possibly influenced her to pay it forward. *winky face*

No comments:

Post a Comment