Tuesday, May 15, 2012

A Giant Shift Toward Callousness?

I don’t normally “surf” the net, I don’t typically flip through TV channels in attempts to find something to entertain me, and I usually try not to spend too much time doing any one thing, in general, in order to maintain balance: moderation, right?! (That is a continual life lesson for me.) I’ve usually got something on my agenda that keeps me from downtime. But, tonight, I took time to read through Facebook status updates, and in doing so, I came across a video someone had linked that I thought would probably be funny, and hey, who doesn’t like a good laugh now and then? A video I stumbled upon was of teachers being silly, dancing behind students as the students were “being interviewed”. It was obviously in good fun, and, personally, I hold a deep appreciation for the teacher who brings humor into the picture. It was entertaining, to say the least, as these (mostly) older males shook their groove-thangs, unbeknown to the serious-minded interviewees at the forefront. This good-natured, crafty wit got a giggle and a grin out of me, which is more than I can say for the comments on the page.

I'm afraid that the ability to speak out anonymously induces cold, distant, hard-heartedness in others. People can comment on blogs, videos, etc., namelessly, without ever having to own-up to what they are putting out there. Sometimes it is really disheartening to read others' comments; the rudeness and hatefulness exudes a certain negative energy that makes the pit of my stomach go hollow… and the energy that that type of behavior puts out there is difficult for me to balance. As a result, there is a virtual wall that is put up as far as responsibility goes, but the pain inflicted is real and detrimental to the overall wellbeing of all of us, collectively. And “we reap what we sow” is in no way a consolation to me because more and more, I have to wonder if the one major life lesson I believe we are all here to accomplish is an endless labyrinth.

Unconditional love is, in and of itself, a difficult task, but outwardly shaming others pushes all of us further away from that ultimate goal.

Karma is eternal.

Love and be loved.

No comments:

Post a Comment