Saturday, May 12, 2012

The I LOVE Project: Nature Signs: The Dove

I can’t exactly put my finger on the point in time when I began to realize the potential in the messages sent by Mother Nature. Animal Speak by Ted Andrews is one of a few references I use to help shine light on this. Aborigines have revered this for thousands of years, heeding messages from Spirit, and sometimes the thought runs through my head that it just may be one of the many crucial things Man has forgotten.
Although I’m no expert in using animal signs to provide me with feedback and guidance, I have become more effective in being aware of and deciphering such messages... Or at least, the being aware part; the deciphering bit often still throws me, but I continue to learn.
One such message I feel came to me, recently, loud and clear, happened when I was walking through the near-empty hallway of my place of employment. It had been a pretty rough day (the same day I was thankful to have and to use a leave-early pass!). The kids were bickering nonstop, and anyone who knows me well, knows I abhor listening to people argue. For some reason, the kids were also not following instructions, and I am not a fan of repeating myself (I've about played-out the "broken record" technique this year!), nor am I a fan of wasting time. On top of that, other things arose that day that were simply adding weight to and bending the proverbial camel’s back – it was about to snap!
So, like I said, I was walking down the hallway, with a scene playing through my head about how I was going to handle a certain situation that had arisen and needed immediate attention. It was as though I was going through the options in one of those choose-your-own-ending books, and I wasn’t particularly fond of any of the options, when I heard a loud THUD on the glass window leading out to the courtyard. Confused, I looked around, and I walked over to look out into the courtyard to investigate the noise. That was where I discovered the dove, sloppily making his way upward and out of the courtyard area. I said a prayer for its well-being and my mind drifted to the likelihood of that happening right as I was walking by: slim chances, right?
I think there are messages all around us that we are blind to, and over the past several years, especially, I have been attempting to become more aware of such signs. We are a part of a complex universe, one that is not merely 2- or even 3-dimensional. The Universe speaks to us on many levels, all the time.
So, what might the message have been, for me? Immediately, it seemed pretty cut-and-dry: the dove is a symbol of peace, and what I was feeling at that moment was far from serenity. So this dove, this symbol of peace, at the perfect moment, slams into a window, quickly gaining my attention. That’s what I felt like, right then, right there: I felt like my peaceful being had been smashed into a wall, disoriented. And I can’t live like that, being in a place where I react from lower vibrational levels; I need to instead be one who responds from higher vibrational energy levels. It’s my duty, my obligation. But it’s also my hope and my desire, and it is a vital aspect of the path that leads me to be the person I want to become.
In further research on the dove (using that Animal Speak book I mentioned earlier), Ted Andrews teaches that the dove is “…the embodiment of the maternal instinct…” and that, to him, the mourning dove would always “stir a sense of promise.” He also mentioned that, as a ground feeder, the dove is also “reflective of keeping contact with Mother Earth and the creative possibilities of the feminine energies on Earth” and that it “can help you to use these times to see the creation process active within your own life.” And, finally, he said, “…awaken to the promise of the future. It is a bird of prophecy and can help you to see what you can give birth to in your life.”
These were messages I truly needed at that moment in my life. I’m appreciative of the messages I actually pay attention to. Just think of all the ones that I miss. What a shame.

No comments:

Post a Comment